Did the Court of Appeals Get My Brief?

One of the most frequently asked questions that courts receive concerning appeals is also one of the most simple, “Did the court get my brief?”

Most states provide free online access to public court records. For example, the Wisconsin Court of Appeals has a website wherein anyone can search for a case using a multitude of fields such as the case number or a party’s name. Once a case is located in the database, select “case history” to see a complete listing of every filing and other action in the case. For more recent cases, appellate level briefs are available for download at no additional cost.

Other states, such as Colorado, do not provide a free database online. In order to access case records and information, Colorado litigants may use www.cocourts.com, but there is a fee for this service.

You can also always call the clerk of the respective court and ask whether a particular filing has been received.

To speak with a knowledgeable attorney about your appeal, contact the Alderman law Firm today for your free consultation by calling 720-588-3529 (CO) or 608-620-3529 (WI).