Judgment Enforcement

Navigating Judgment Enforcement in Colorado:
Understanding Timelines, Challenges, and Renewal Options

Attorneys are advocates, representing people during some of the most challenging fights in life. But after you fight for and get a judgment, what happens next? How do you make a defendant pay if he simply refuses? The unfortunate fact is that 80% of civil judgments in this country go unpaid.

The Alderman Law Firm can help. We use asset searches, skip traces, foreclosures, liens, and wage, property, and bank account garnishments to help our valued clients get the money they are entitled to.

Will The Court Help Me Enforce My Judgment?

The unfortunate reality of civil court judgments is that once a judge has determined that you are owed money, you are on your own to collect. In fact, the court is not even permitted to advise you on how to how to collect your judgment. You can, however, use debtor’s interrogatories in an attempt to discover what assets a judgment debtor has.

Is There A Deadline To Collect My Judgment?

In Colorado, a creditor has 20 years to enforce a judgment out of a district court and 6 years to collect a judgment from a county court. Often, problems with collection efforts make it difficult for creditors to collect their award before the expiration of that limited time period.  A party may be able to renew an expired judgment if he is able to show “good cause.”

Am I Entitled To Interest On My Unpaid Judgment?

Yes, all parties awarded money damages by a court are entitled to post-judgment interest. The interest rate on Colorado judgments is 8 percent for all but child support arrears, which earn 12%.

What If I Have More Questions?

The above information is offered as a general overview of the judgment enforcement process. This information is provided as a courtesy, and is not legal advice.  If you need assistance enforcing a judgment, please contact the Alderman Law (720) 588-3529.