Post-Judgment Collections

iStock_judgment-300x199Attorneys are advocates, representing people during some of the most challenging fights in life. But after you fight for and get a judgment, what happens next? How do you make a defendant pay if he simply refuses? The unfortunate fact is that 80% of civil judgments in this country go unpaid.

The Alderman Law Firm can help. We represent commercial and consumer clients in all of Wisconsin to coordinate judgment recovery in all 50 states. We use asset searches, skip traces, foreclosures, liens, and wage, property, and bank account garnishments to help our valued clients get the money they are entitled to.

If you do not have a judgment, but do have a contract to enforce or a debt to collect, please visit our page on Pre-Judgment Collections.

Will The Court Help Me Enforce My Judgment?

The unfortunate reality of civil court judgments is that once a judge has determined that you are owed money, you are on your own to collect. In fact, the court is not even permitted to advise you on how to how to collect your judgment.

Is There A Deadline To Collect My Judgment?

In Wisconsin, a creditor has 20 years to enforce a judgment. Wis. Stat. 815.04(c). Often, problems with collection efforts make it difficult for creditors to collect their award before the expiration of the 20-year period.  In limited situations, a party may be able to renew an expired judgment if he is able to show “good cause.” Wis. Stat. 806.23.

Am I Entitled To Interest On My Unpaid Judgment?

Yes, all parties awarded money damages by a court are entitled to post-judgment interest. The interest rate on Wisconsin judgments is 12 percent for judgments entered before December 2, 2012, and 1 percent plus the Federal Reserve prime rate for judgments entered on or after December 2, 2012.

For a detailed explanation of how to calculate interest on your judgment, see Calculating Judgment Interest in the Wake of Wis. Act 69, published in the Wisconsin Law Journal by lead attorney Kimberly Alderman on August 7, 2012.

What If I Have More Questions?

The above information is offered as a general overview of the judgment enforcement process. This information is provided as a courtesy, and is not legal advice.  If you need assistance enforcing a judgment, please contact the Alderman Law Firm for your free consultation at (608) 620-3529.